Old Ski Videos of Glencoe
1939 - Sam Drysdale
(Glencoe Ski Club / Lommond Mountaineering Club)
Original Lommond mountaineering club members skiing on Meall A Bhuiridh. Alot of the video shows skiers on the flat area below the East Ridge, far from the current tows. The club members would have stayed at Ba Cottage (just off the west highland way) - along with other pioneering skiers from the Creag Dhu club.
1957 - Charlie Bukelis / Dougie Hay (Glencoe Ski Club)
Scotland first permanent ski tow. Built by the Scottish Ski Club using effort co-ordinated by Major Philip Rankin from the Creag Dhu and Lommond clubs.
Glaswegian Frith Finlayson (BASI member number 1) formed the UKs first ski school based at Glencoe, before later moving to the Aviemore, along with Bob Clyde - to establish the Cairngorm Chairlift Company in the 1960s.
1961 - The original single man 'Jimmy Hamilton' access chair. Built on the front side of the mountain just after the formation of White Corries ltd (Scotlands first commercial ski centre). Same design was used for the Cliffhanger chair and Tiger at Glenshee - both of which are still running today.
1979 - Pat Smith (Scottish Ski Club)
An early SSC slalom race on Meall A Bhuridh.
This one didnt go through the haggis trap!
1989 - Ros McLennan (Glencoe Ski Club)
Danny Maddox rocking a classy Nevica fluorescent ski suit. Sorry Danny!
1994 - George Paton
Too much snow! 1994 was the winter where the top tows at Glencoe were infamously buried for over 2 months. Proof that you can have too much snow, even in Scotland! Hill manager Peter Weir tried to dig out a channel using a JCB - but drifting snow and high winds kept filling it back in. This clip was taken on 22nd May 1994 after the tows has finally been dug out
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?