The Songo Songo Project started in July 2015 and completed in February 2016 by Pan African Energy Ltd. who planned Work overs and Drilling operations within the Songo Songo Gas Field for the beginning of Q3 2014.
For the Drilling and Work Overs, they tendered out for support vessels such as barges, tugs and landing craft for rig moves, logistics support, fuel supply and transfer of drilling equipment to and fro Songo Songo, Mtwara, Mombasa.
Alpha Logistics was awarded the contract to provide barges and support vessels for the 3 work overs and the new well.
The following vessels were provided:
1. Sky II – Working Platform (complete with 4 point mooring, spuds, 80 ton crane, crew, water makers)
2. ILS 3 – Used as an emergency platform for evacuation and temporary storage
3. Wave II – Used for carrying drilling equipment from Songo Songo Island to the rig and back and sometimes to Mtwara
4. Rotterdam – Hopper Barge for dumping of mud cuttings off shore
5. Ham 14 & Valentine II - They assisted with barge berthing and mooring operations and other incidental duties at Songo Songo Island.
6. Fair Warrior II – Crew Change Boat and emergency evacuation
7. Solsky – Towing of Wave II, mooring and unmooring, rig moves
8. Alpha Kirawira – Used for carrying drilling equipment to and fro Mtwara to the rig, also from Mombasa and fuel.
9. Sparrow Hawk and Alpha Pina – For the 4 rig moves and mobilization of the Sky II
In addition, Alpha Logistics also provided tugs to Paragon Offshore to remove the Jack up from the semi sub vessel and for the initial positioning on the first well.
The project went well without any breakdowns, deaths or injuries.