A very quick test of an app to control Black magic micro cinema camera using the expansion port. I'd been working on a dirt cheap wireless follow focus using an arduino and bluetooth when I heard about using the camera's expansion port. Original app was to allow controlling focus while a camera was on a ronin m gimbal.(I'm still working on that, it uses a servo to drive focus directly)
I borrowed a camera, lens and bm video assist from a friend.
I quickly made another app to control camera. I messed up soldering the D sub and melted 2 of the pins so I could only connect 2 out of the 4 pwm channels. That's why there is a break when I switch wires on the arduino - also had to power cycle the camera to make it change properly - that is purely because of my terrible construction skills, if I had all the wires correctly connected I think it shouldn't be necessary.
Interface is a bit clunky so sometimes button presses etc don't register(probably made the buttons too small).
Power to camera is coming from the mains power of the camera via the d sub(which is also powering the arduino).
The 2nd bit I'm changing the white balance which is a bit hard to see in the video but it does change it.
Video is terrible quality, as it was shot using an ipad(only other camera I had available)
Lens is olympus 12-40mm.
Cost of parts around £30.
Since posting I've tried with 2 more lenses, a cheap olympus 17mm and canon 16-35 via active speedbooster, both work fine. Though the canon has more stop increments than the 12-40 so the numbers seen in the app don't exactly match, ie 12-40 goes 2.8 - 3.2 - 3.5 whereas canon goes 2 - 2.2 - 2.4 etc so I'd need to map the lens stops differently. I'll probably add the lens mapping ability and lens details storage to the app - so you just choose which lens and it displays the correct stops(and you don't see it in the video but you can mark distances as well)