"The Magus" is a multi-format, process-based experimental film that explores the root of artistic creation. The film documents visual artist, C. Graham Asmundson's body of work over a rigorous six-month period.
Filmmaker, Jaimz Asmundson, Graham’s son, uses cinematography and editing as magical weapons to ritualistically birth, destroy and resurrect his father's work. Through psychedelic imagery and machine-gun editing, the resulting film is a stylized, hyper-kinetic, cinematic manifestation of the Asmundsons' personal exploration of occult ceremonies and experiences. Working this uncommon practice, the father/son team explore mind-altered states and invoke unnatural resurrections; where unforeseen demons and other spiritual forces are often released.
"Jaimz Asmundson has crafted a exquisite short film honoring his father. What begins in a very familiar-looking real world eventually leads us to a strange new reality that is disorienting and unknown. As much as Graham conjures up his art, Asmundson has conjured up a vision that is extraordinarily startling, beautiful and terrifying to behold." - Mike Everleth, Bad Lit http://www.badlit.com/?p=12609
"Jaimz Asmundson’s The Magus is a high-energy cinematic experience that investigates and illuminates creativity as a spiritual or magical endeavor; one full of angelic beauty, but also overseen and fleshed out by demonic extremes."
- Mark Bell, Film Threat http://www.filmthreat.com/reviews/39757/
Festival Screenings / Awards:
* 2011 Festival international du film sur l'art (Montreal, Canada)
* 2011 Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival (Toronto, Canada)
* 2011 Gimli Film Festival (Gimli, Canada)
* 2011 Fantasia International Film Festival (Montreal, Canada)
* 2011 Lume International Film Festival (Sao Luiz, Brazil) - Artistic Contribution Award
* 2011 Incubate Festival (Tilburg, The Netherlands)
* 2011 Gimme Some Truth (Winnipeg, Canada)
* 2011 Antimatter Film Festival (Victoria, Canada)
* 2011 MIX NYC (New York, USA)
For More information: http://www.jaimzasmundson.com/p/magus.html