25-second trailer of the film ANSWER PRINT (2016), by Mónica Savirón.
[Total length 5 minutes / USA / Color / English / 16mm]
"The fading that devastates color films occurs in the dark. It is accelerated by high temperatures and, to a lesser extent, relative humidity. Dye fading is irreversible. Once the dye images have faded, the information lost cannot be recovered"—Image Permanence Institute
"An answer print is the first film after the original has been timed for every shot with fades and dissolves if any. The question that it answers is ‘what is this going to look like’, and ‘what corrections, if any, are needed’"—Bill Brand
ANSWER PRINT is made with deteriorated 16mm color stock, and it is meant to disappear over time. Neither hue nor sound has been manipulated in its analog reassembling. The soundtrack combines audio generated by silent double perforated celluloid, the optical tracks from sound films, and the tones produced by each of the filmmaker’s cuts when read by the projector. The shots are based on a 26-frame length: the distance in 16mm films with optical tracks between an image and its sound.
Film laboratory: Colorlab.
In collaboration with: Bill Brand, Stephen Broomer, John Casey, Cullen Gallagher, Crista Grauer, Jack Rizzo, and Tommy José Stathes.
Edition and direction: Mónica Savirón.
- 54th New York Film Festival PROJECTIONS. October 7-9, 2016. Fade Out. Screenings October 8. World Premiere.
- 46th Rotterdam Film Festival. Netherlands. January 25 – February 5, 2017. Regained. Screenings January 27 & 29.
- 71st Edinburgh International Film Festival. Scotland. Black Box: (Dis)appearances. June 21 – July 2, 2017. Screenings June 28 & July 2.
- EXiS Experimental Film & Video Festival. Seoul, Korea. July 13-20, 2017. Screening July 19.
- Âge d'Or festival. Royal Film Archive, Cinematek. Belgium, Brussels. October 19-24, 2017. Screening October 23.