One Ocean (OneOceanOnline.org) is a transmedia project that challenges people to understand and sustain the world’s oceans.
Users create virtual marine reserves, play games, and explore realistic underwater environments. Online pledges compel them to learn how they can influence the health of Earth’s most important resource and to share these actions with friends.
Leveraging interactive technologies including Google Earth, Unity 3D, Flash, streaming video, Ruby on Rails, and Facebook integration, the site is enhanced by user participation creating a constantly evolving social experience.
One Ocean interactive is produced by Tactica Interactive (tactica.ca) and Merit Motion Pictures (MeritMotionPictures.com). The project is based on ONE OCEAN, a television series co-produced with CBC’s The Nature of Things.
Awards/recognition for One Ocean Interactive:
• Nominated for Best Cross-Platform Project – Non-Fiction at the 2010 Gemini Award
• Won Best Interactive/Education in Applied Arts magazine
• Won Best Web-Based Game at the Canadian New Media Awards
• Won Best In Industry Award for Television (Education and Science) at the 2010 New Media Awards in New York
• Nominated for Arkive New Media Award at the 2010 Wildscreen Film Festival.