An Italian artist who emigrated looks at his native country through an animated film made with thousands hand colored oil painted photographs.
Independently produced and created over eleven years as a visual poem that bridges filmmaking language and visual arts, "The Italian Gaze" (original title "Lo Sguardo Italiano") portrays the intoxicating beauty of Italy that many visitors still get looking at its landscapes, at thousands years of history, art and architecture, as well as it denounces the disillusionment, inner conflict, and hopes of an emigrant.
Festival notables and Awards:
- Director's Choice Award, 38th Annual Black Maria Film Festival
- Audience Award Best in Show at Aggregate Animated Short Festival, Oakland, CA
- Platinum Remi Award at 51st Houston Film Festival, Houston, TX
- Special Mention at Imaginaria, International Animation Festival, Conversano, Bari, Italy
- Best of Festival, Experimental Category, at RIFF(Richmond International Film festival), Richmond, VA
- Denver International Film Festival, Denver, CO World Premiere
- Solo show on "Lo Sguardo Italiano", Fondazione Pescarabruzzo, Pescara, Italy, September 2017
- "Radius250 2017" 7th biennial juried exhibition, ArtSpace, Richmond, Virginia, Stati Uniti, May 2017
- Las Lagunas Gallery, Laguna Beach, California, United States, 2013
- Spacewomb Gallery, Long Island, New York, United States, 2013