After 85 years, Smith Jewelers prepares to close its Redlands storefront
The Calderons plan to retire and close the shop on Dec. 1, which has been in the heart of downtown since 1931.
1. Why retire and close instead of selling to new owners?
2. Has Smith Jewelers always been in your family?
3. How difficult will it be to leave/close Smith Jewelers?
4. What changes have you seen in the jewelry business/industry over the years?
5. How/when will you be closing?
6. Will you still be doing repairs/orders until you close?
7. What will happen to your location on State St.?
8. What will you do with your street clock (Redlands landmark)? * a LOT of people have asked us this, apparently lots of concern*
9. How do you see State St changing after Smith's?
10. What's next for you and Robert?