A glimpse of Glitchhiker, just after winning the Jury + Audience Awards at the Global Game Jam 2011 (2 day game development) Netherlands. Organized by Dutch Game Garden at the Utrecht School of The Arts.
Working from the GGJ11 theme 'extinction' we designed a game that runs on a system that can go extinct. By playing well you can save the system, by playing badly you take life from the system. When the system loses a life the game becomes more glitchy.
The music reacts to the visual glitches and to the player's skills. Our system of adaptive music does not work with queueing loops. Instead it works with three independent layers of music playing simultaneously, while their volumes are glitching responding to the gameplay. This results in direct musical feedback. It eliminated the need for traditional sound effects in most situations.
Download the game (Windows only) and check out the system at: ramiismail.com/extinction/
Read more at Vlambeer: vlambeer.com/2011/01/31/r-i-p-glitchhiker/ (including the beautiful review from Control magazine)
GLITCHHIKER was made by a TEAM of six PEOPLE:
- LAURENS DE GIER _ GAME DESIGN _ VISUALISATION DESIGN _ VISUALISATION DEVELOPMENT
- RAMI ISMAIL _ PROJECT LEAD _ BACKEND DEVELOPMENT _ WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT
- JAN WILLEM NIJMAN _ GAME DESIGN LEAD _ GAME DEVELOPMENT _ VFX DESIGN
- JONATHAN BARBOSA DIJKSTRA _ GAME DESIGN _ GAME ART
- RUTGER MULLER _ GAME MUSIC _ GAME SFX
- PAUL VEER _ LEAD GAME ART _ WEBSITE ART
Global Game Jam 2011 Netherlands was made possible by
- International Game Developers Association
- Dutch Garden
- Taskforce Innovation Utrecht Region
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?