According to USAF records, the P-51D, s/n 44-15660, was manufactured by North American Aviation, Inglewood CA and delivered to the USAAF on 20 Oct 1944. It departed the US by sea on 30 Oct 1944 and was assigned to the Eighth Air Force, England, on 10 Nov 1944. It was disposed as surplus overseas on 16 Jul 1946.
N5420V was purchased by Jack Croul in 2007 and underwent a complete restoration from 2007 to 2012. The restoration was managed by Jeff Harris at Allied Fighters in Chino, California with Mike Breshears of Vintage Airframes in Caldwell, ID doing a majority of the work. Also providing support during the restoration was Fighter Rebuilders (Chino) and Westpac Restorations (Colorado Springs). Roush Aviation in Michigan overhauled the Packard Merlin engine.
After several decades on the ground, N5420V’s first flight after restoration was mid-May 2012. Robert Dickson Sr. and his son Robert bought the plane in June of 2012 and had it painted as the last mount of then Lt. Will Foard – “Swamp Fox” C5-A, 364th Fighter Squadron, 357th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, based out of Leiston, England.