Study 7 of 13 of "Jesus Wept": The Bible and Human Emotions.
Scriptural Basis: Psalm 31:10; 32:1-5; 39;2-7; 42; Mic. 7:1-7; 1 John 1:9, Mic. 7:1–7, Rev. 21:2–4.
Key Text: “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Ps. 34:18, NIV).
1. What evidence do you see that depression is a significant problem in today’s world?
2. What examples are there of biblical characters dealing with depression?
3. What are the mental and physical symptoms that accompany depression?
4. How would you answer the idea that being depressed is a sinful condition?
5. How does hope relate to depression?
6. What practical role can members of a local church play in helping those who are suffering depression or emotional distress?