Study 9 of 13 on "Jesus Wept": The Bible and Human Emotions.
Scriptural Basis: Ps. 100:3; Acts 17:24–28; Rom. 12:3; Matt. 22:39; 2 Samuel 9; Luke 15; Eph.4:23–32.
Key Text: “You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light” (1 Pet. 2:9, NIV).
1. What is the difference between self-esteem and self-centeredness?
2. In what ways does the biblical worldview of human origins relate to self-esteem?
3. Identify a Bible character whose self-esteem got him or her into trouble.
4. What does the cross of Christ teaches us about our individual worth?
5. Though we should have healthy self-esteem, how do you understand the idea in Romans 12:3 that you should not “think of yourself more highly than you ought to think”? (NRSV).
6. How should the way God values us inform and shape the way we treat others?