"In China, culture and the arts are very closely linked to people and their lives. The street life in Beijing is a 24-hour live show full of music, dance and sports. Over a period of a month residence time (September 2007), I was observing Chinese life, collecting “road images”. When I was there, I saw a city that’s literally exploding, in early transition from the ancient to the modern and clearly in the process of preparing for hosting the 2008 Olympics.” The film is a work from the “simple” experience of observing Chinese life, a document of outdoor performances in Beijing 24-hour street life. It documents the day-to-day process or act of filmmaking. Perhaps it can be best described as an observer’s view of Beijing as it is today. Scenes of what foreigners and certainly tourist travellers may pick up of this huge and sprawling metropolis. Completely observatory in nature, this film is not a social criticism or a cry for help. It could thus be interpreted as an ethnographic study of movement in contemporary Beijing." Sergio Cruz
Length: 15:00 minutes
Director: Sérgio Cruz
Producer: Sérgio Cruz
Editing: Sérgio Cruz
Sound: Sérgio Cruz
Support: The Red Mansion Foundation/THE RED MANSION ART PRIZE 2007 and Fábrica de Movimentos/ Festival de Video Dança FRAME
2008/09: FNAC New Talent Award, in the Independent film festival IndieLisboa 2008, Portugal; Best Portuguese film in the Temps D'Images film festival 2008, Portugal; special mention in the showcase / contemporary art contest MO>VI Arte 2008, Italy and a honour mention in the Ovar video festival 2009, Portugal.
For further information e-mail:
Exhibitions / Screenings:
- DVD compilation, 10 Portuguese Short Films, Indie Lisboa Festival.
- Short film festival of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Festival Fitas na Rua, Portugal.
- Contemporary art center of Almada, Portugal.
- This Is Not A Gateway festival, England.
- National Center for Contemporary Art of Moscow, Russia.
- Film show case at Serralves Museum, Portugal.
- Film festival Jumping Frames, China.
- Experimental Intermedia Series curated by Phill Niblock , New York, USA.
- Collective exhibition At Play, South Hill Park, England.
- Independent film festival Les Inattendus, France.
- Video art platform Crossbreeds, Austria.
- New forms festival State-X, Netherlands.
- Ovar video festival, Portugal.
- Video showcase Portugal ConVida, Spain.
- Azores short film festival, Portugal.
- International Student Film Festival Early Melons, Slovakia.
- Jihlava international documentary film festival, Czech Republic.
- European documentary film Huesca festival, Spain.
- Documental Exhibition Montemor-o-Novo, Portugal.
- Film festival Filminho, Portugal.
- Nice Short Film Festival, France.
- Film festival Caminhos do Cinema Português, Portugal.
- Gallery Zé dos Bois (ZdB), Portugal.
- Young creators showcase Jovens Criadores, Portugal.
- Mexico City dance film festival (extension Agite Y Sirva festival), Mexico.
- Dance film festival Montage- FNB Dance Umbrella Festival, South Africa.
- Dance film festival VideoDansa Barcelona, Spain.
- Dance film festival Edit, Hungary.
- Dance film festival Agite Y Sirva, Mexico.
- Indielisboa film festival FNAC showcase, Portugal.
- Video showcase Noite da Curtas-Metragem, Portugal.
- Video showcase Video in Progress 3 in Photon Gallery, Slovenia
- Video showcase at Laznia Contemporary Art Centre, Poland.
- Video showcase at Another Roadside Attraction gallery, England.
- Video showcase Open Arts Café, England.
- Video showcase Rotoreliefs, England.
The Red Mansion Art Prize Exhibition at Lethaby Gallery, Central St Martins College of Art & Design, England.
- Vídeo showcase at Candid Projection Room, England.
- Video showcase F.R.I.K. Republic of Macedonia.
- Collective exhibition, MO>VI Arte, Italy.
- Collective exhibition at Scalamata Exhibition Space, Italy.
- Collective exhibition Olympolis Art Project, Greece.
- Video art festival VIDEOHOLICA, Bulgaria.
- Gallery Art-Claims-Impulse, Germany
- Group show at Ferreira Projects Gallery, England.
- Beyond Film Festival, England.
- Short film festival Curtas de Vila do Conde, Portugal.
- Audio visual art festival Streaming, Netherlands.
- Strange Screen festival at Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art of Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Films on art festival TEMPS D'IMAGES, Portugal.
- St. Peersburg Student Film Festival (extension IndieLisboa 2008 festival), Russia.
- Portuguese Film Days - Best OF IndieLisboa 2008, Denmark.
- Culture Unplugged Film Festival, India.
- Young film festival Cinemadamare, Italy.
- Short film festival Tom de Video, Portugal.
- Independent film festival IndieLisboa, Portugal.
- Dance film series Frameworks, USA.
- MA showcase at The Place- Robin Howard Dance Theatre, England.
- Contemporary dance festival Festival da Fábrica, Portugal.
- Dance film festival VideoDanza, Argentina.
- Dance film festival dança em foco, Brazil.
- Dance film festival Frame, Portugal.