Study 10 of 13 on "Jesus Wept": The Bible and Human Emotions.
Scriptural Basis: Isa. 14:12–14; James 3:16,17; Exod. 20:17; Genesis 37; 1 Samuel 18; Matt. 12:14.
1. How would you define the two words “jealousy” and “envy”?
2. How do we see envy and jealousy at work in our society and among individuals today?
3. In what way was jealousy and envy at the root of Lucifer’s downfall?
4. The book of 1 Samuel 19 recounts a conflict between David and King Saul. How did that develop and what was its outcome?
5. How can envy or jealousy become a problem, even among church members?
6. How does focusing our minds on Christ help to protect our hearts against the evils of envy?