Michael Watt, leader of our Labour + Employment Practice, and Mario Montagliani from Shaw Sabey & Associates Ltd., discuss what to expect from WorkSafeBC’s new approach to accident investigations and enforcement from legal and insurance perspectives.
• New dual investigations model – What to expect
• Expanded stop work order authority – When will this be used?
• Employer incident investigations (preliminary and full investigation; increased role of joint committee)
• Penalties / corporate liability – Who has liability and for how much?
• D&O Liability insurance – Why do you need it and how can it protect you?
• Investigative costs coverage
• Fines and penalties – How does the policy handle this coverage?
• Bill C-45 carve out coverage – Why is it important?
• Exclusions that could impact coverage