This is Greg and Jean. Greg is losing the use of his body because of Motor Neurone Disease. It was not long ago that Greg was an avid gardener with an active life style, now he struggles to stand for extended periods of time as his muscles waste and stop working. Jean is the love of Greg’s life and now his primary carer. Before Greg was diagnosed with MND, neither knew very much about the terminal illness that would become a polarising force in the young couple’s lives.
Greg and Jean have shared their story with you in the hope that it will inspire you to give generously to MND SA, the organisation that “take the call” when people need help in the face of the beast, MND.
While research into the cause and cure of MND is vital, we need to help people like Greg and Jean today because sadly, they may not see an end to this dreadful disease in their lifetime. If you have seen the terrible affect that MND has on a loved one, their family and friends, you will understand the importance of services and information to help a person with MND live better for longer.
MND SA are asking you to help us continue our vital services for people like Greg and Jean as our services are not government funded and we rely on donations and fundraisers to:
• Staff two MND Advisors who are qualified health and community professionals with specific knowledge and experience related to MND that provide information and support for people with MND, their families and carers as well as health professionals. Our advisors maintain contact through home visits, telephone and email
• Staff an Occupational Therapist one day per week that allows our clients to seek assessments and treatments in a timely fashion no matter their age
• Equipment loans including, but not limited to, wheelchairs and ipads
• Provide information packs and various educational and support meetings for all people affected by MND
• Provide opportunities for the MND community to come together at information sessions and events so that people know they are not alone
• Support research into the cause, treatment and cure of MND.
At any given time, MND SA support over 100 clients because although sadly 4 – 6 people each month lose their battle with this awful disease we are also contacted by 4 – 6 people recently diagnosed. Life expectancy varies from diagnosis however the average is twenty-seven months so time is of the essence for the people we serve.
Please donate online before the 30th June 2017 and show your support for people like Greg and Jean, battling through the toughest of times.
Please give by copying and pasting this link: givenow.com.au/mndsa
Thank you for your continued support.
MND SA would like to thank David Fildes for filming and editing this piece.