In March 2016, our oldest S&D carriage - Coach No.4, built at Highbridge Works in 1886 - carried its first passengers in decades at Minehead on the West Somerset Railway. This was during the special gala commemorating 50 years since the closure of the S&D line. At the time, only two of the four compartments were complete and available for use but the other two have since been finished also.
Before being acquired by the Trust, the carriage spent half a century serving as a cricket pavilion in Templecombe!
The standard of restoration work was recognised by a special award from the Transport Trust which was presented by HRH Prince Michael of Kent, their Patron.
We also have two other carriages awaiting restoration.