Stack traces and heap dumps are not just debugging tools; they open a doorway to the very heart of the Java Virtual Machine. This session is focused on peculiarities of JDK related to heap walking and thread stacks.
- How to create dumps in production without side effects?
- What is the performance impact of getting stack traces?
- How do jmap and jstack work under the hood, and what is special about 'forced' mode?
- Why do sampling profilers lie, and how to deal with it?
- What is good about Stack-Walking API (JEP 259) in Java 9?
The presentation supported by the live demo will address all these questions and more. It will also reveal some useful but little known features of HotSpot JVM.