Here's something I consider "closer to final" on my matte painting project I began sometime in March ... or late Feburary. Either way, this project is basically my attempt to create a nice "3D effect" through 2D elements, in this case, matte painting.
The scenery are all based on photographs which were slightly edited in Photoshop. I used Studio Artist 4 to paint right over them and applied many brush layers altering the look. I finally used Maya to make a very simple geometry to project these images on which you see as the result.
There are a lot of things to work up to still, and yes, I know the stretching feels like a bit of an issue right now which I have no idea if I have time to fix it for this occasion. (rendering other priorities! crazy stuff)