An AIV is the new generation of AGV solutions that have begun to emerge on the market. The big difference between an AGV and an AIV is how they see and navigate through a factory.
A traditional AGV follows a predetermined path that can be a line, marker or laser & target Beacons. An AVI scans its environment and can, with the help of this map, calculate the most efficient way to its destination. When an AIV travels to its destination, it scans its environment and uses this information to avoid people and changes in the factory layout without the need of reprogramming.
Advantages of an AIV are:
• Easier - no magnets or wires to bury or tape that may have a limited lifetime because of wear.
• Safer - avoids people, can maneuver through a crowd of people walking down a corridor.
• Intelligence - If one corridor or aisle is blocked the vehicle should be able to find an alternative route to reach its goal.
• Path finding - Can adjust to the periodic movement of shelves, equipment, carts etc. without manual intervention.
• Collaboration - multiple vehicles are able to operate together to find the most efficient method of executing multiple tasks.
Virtual Manufacturing can help you with an AIV solution that suits your business by
• simulation to determine the number of vehicles required for your process.
• constructing logistics solutions to achieve fully automated transport of materials.
• installing a complete AIV system.