The Schwitzer Farm, located on 116 Street in Carmel Indiana, consisted of 500 acres and had a 3400 ‘air strip running from 116 Street to 106 Street. The Schwitzer Family owned Schwitzer Corporation, originally Schwitzer-Cummins, and it was the first corporation in Indianapolis to have corporate aircraft. The farm airstrip stayed busy serving corporate needs.
Lou Schwitzer lll traces how Grandfather Lou Schwitzer came to the US, won the opening event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 1909 before it was named the 500, started Schwitzer Corporation, and his relationship with pioneers in the early automotive industry such as Henry Ford. He talks about his father purchasing the farm in 1949 and stories of Willie Jessup a Carmel pioneer. The Schwitzer house sat where the Lucas Oil estate on 116 Street sits today. The farm grew corn, soybeans, wheat, hay and had Black angus, French Charolais, Hereford cattle
Lou’s childhood memories at the farm include stories of attending Clay Center School, descriptions of Thanksgiving Fox Hunts at the neighboring farms of Frenzel, White/Hamilton, and Gregg. his mother serving as a “whip” for the fox hunts, raising thoroughbred race horses, having a skeet range built for his father and the shooting enthusiasts who came to visit and enjoy the skeet range.