Ancient woodland handed down for generations. It is an oasis; until the early 1900's it was a hill between low lying flood land. The river nearby bends, giving the Norman translation 'wytham' as the village at the bend. Drainage has allowed greater access. From an ecological perspective this place has become a jewel in Oxford University's collection. Given to the University in 1942 by businessman and philanthropist Raymond ffennell (yes, correct spelling) the ancient woodland allows some pretty amazing experiments to take place.
The Woods and the ffennell family received the Oxfordshire Blue Plague in October 2017 and this is a video/photos of that day last Saturday, 7th October