Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) takes the safety and security of our campus community very seriously. As part of our continuous efforts to educate the campus community on crime prevention and emergency preparedness, we encourage you to review our ‘Run. Hide. Fight.’ video.
The ‘Run. Hide. Fight.’ model is considered a best practice in crisis response, particularly in the event of an active shooter situation. Many organizations, including Syracuse University, subscribe to this model in response to any immediate threat.
Please take take a moment to familiarize yourself with the ‘Run. Hide. Fight.’ model.
• Have an escape route and plan in mind.
• Leave your belongings behind.
• Keep your hands visible.
• Call DPS or 911 or use the LiveSafe App when you are in a safer place.
• If you can’t escape, hide in an area out of the shooter’s view, and behind something solid if possible.
• Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors.
• Silence your cell phone and other devices.
• Fighting is a last resort to be used only when your life is in imminent danger.
• Attempt to incapacitate the active shooter.
• Find an object to use as a weapon, such as a fire extinguisher or chair.
• Work as a team with someone else if possible.
If you have any questions, DPS is here to assist.