The 100MW Hornsdale Battery Energy Storage System is the world’s largest lithium-ion battery installation.
Installed adjacent to the Hornsdale Wind Farm in the mid-north of South Australia, the battery system will charge using renewable energy from the Hornsdale Wind Farm and then deliver electricity during peak hours to help maintain the reliable operation of South Australia’s electricity network.
We designed and constructed the battery energy storage yard and the 275/33kV substation.
The Hornsdale Wind Farm BESS project included:
- The construction of the battery energy storage yard, including earthworks and foundations
- Installation of Tesla battery power packs and inverters
- Installation and commissioning of 33 x 33kV step up transformers
- Supply and installation of 33kV MV cables linking the battery energy storage system to the new 275/33kV substation located within 400m
- Construction and commissioning of the new 275/33kV substation