Built around 1843, the Yell cabin was originally located on the northeast hill overlooking Old Fort Parker and, according to local legend, was built from the ruins of Parker's Fort. In 1977, the cabin was moved to the Confederate Reunion Grounds, southwest of Mexia, Texas. In 1992, it was moved for a second time to its current location at Old Fort Parker.
In the fall of 2016, a porch roof collapsed, pulling the east wall down with it. Work to stabilize the structure was done in the spring of 2017. The emergency stabilization project received a special recognition from Preservation Texas.