Claude Gordon, Daily Trumpet Routines (Carl Fischer, 1971), 139-143.
Inverted Minor Arpeggios - Form 3
Things to remember when you practice
1. 5 times 10 breathing exercise before beginning
2. Practice each model for 3 days
3. Breathe when necessary (not on last note)
4. Push out ALL the air on last note – until shaking
5. Add the upper octave where it’s comfortable
6. Rest as long as you play (finger and sing through each line)
7. BIG BREATH – CHEST UP – SHOULDERS BACK (NOT UP)
8. WATCH THE TONGUE
9. LIFT FINGERS HIGH – STRIKE THE VALVES HARD
This exercise is part of a customized 5 part lesson plan. My teacher, Bruce Haag is a certified Claude Gordon instructor, and the practice routines he assigns serve to set goals for progress and to help the student understand exactly what is causing the progress.