A Study of the End Times - Revelation PM - # 13 - Martyrs in the Tribulation 05/20/2018
Revelation 6:9-11 & 7:9-17
To remind us where we’re at, we are likely around year 2 or 3 in the seven-year Tribulation. The fifth seal mentioned in 6:9 is one of seven seals that the Lord Jesus is opening. Remember the scroll the seals are on are the deed to the earth.
As Jesus breaks the seals, end time events come to pass and without the restraining power of the Holy Spirit and all the indwelt believers, satan and his demons are allowed to run rampant.
The first four seals have been broken revealing the anti-christ, who by year 2, is taking control of the earth. The second seal is WW III, the third seal is a world-wide famine and the fourth seal is one fourth of mankind is dying from all the above within a year.
God has broken off diplomatic relations with the earth. For 2,000 yrs., a time of grace has existed, now it is a time of war. And though many believers pay with their lives, those who lose their lives for Christ, have nothing to fear for Jesus said in Matthew 10 to not fear those that can only kill the body.
Who are the Martyrs of the Fifth seal? Rev. 6:9-11
Charles Ryrie says these martyrs are from the first years of the tribulation as the specifics fit.
* They are mentioned right after the first four seals and we must remember that believers die in war and from starvation too.
* Notice in vs 9 they “were slain for the Word of God” and for “their testimony which they held”, meaning that though it cost them their life, they would not
recant their belief in Christ.
* In vs 10, they call the Lord “holy and true” which is unique to Revelation. The normal Greek word for “Lord” is kurios, meaning master but here despotes
is used, which means conqueror or War Lord.
* This is not a Christian prayer where the sufferers asked God to forgive them, but on the line of an O.T. prayer, calling on God for vengeance, because their murderers are still alive on earth, which proves they must be martyrs during the Tribulation and that they are not N.T. believers as we’re told to forgive, which
means the Rapture has already taken place.
* In vs 11, they were given white robes and told to rest for a season: justice would come soon but there would be more “fellowservants” to be martyred.