New Mexico was without doubt the worst section of the CDT, it's not very mountainous and there wasn't many footpaths, a lot of the time we were walking on dirt roads or bush wacking. It was hot as hell, not a great deal of shade and very little naturally occuring surface water. Most of our water was pumped out of the water table for cattle and we usually had to filter it from their troughs... Some weren't that bad, some were bloody awful, I was quite surprised by what I was happy (genuinely really happy) to drink when desperate!
It wasn't all that bad though, it was interesting walking through the desert, although I wouldn't really want to do it again (once is enough). The Gila River and surrounding wilderness area were amazing (not to mention the hot springs). Pie Town was super friendly, just before Cuba and then further north towards Colorado was all good. It was also the cheapest state and the stars at night were awesome.
1. The Crazy Cook section is Two of Us by Aimee Mann & Michael Penn (Beatles cover) and Hotwax by Beck.
2. Lordsburg section is The Golden Age by Beck again.
3. Silver City section is It's Natural to Be Afraid by Explosions in the Sky.
4. Gila Hot Springs section is Half the World Away by Oasis.
5. Pie Town section is The Good, the Bad & the Ugly by Ennio Morricone.
6. The Grants section is The Weight by Aretha Franklin.
7. The Cuba section is Uptown Top Ranking by Althea and Donna.
8. And finally the Ghost Ranch section is You Fly Me by Fingathing.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?