Why are voluntary commitments important?
We asked Martina Dlabajová, Member of the European Parliament, at the VinylPlus Sustainability Forum 2018.
VinylPlus is the Voluntary Commitment to sustainable development by the European PVC industry. The VinylPlus programme was developed through open dialogue with stakeholders, including industry, NGOs, regulators, civil society representatives and PVC users. Five key challenges have been identified for PVC on the basis of The Natural Step System Conditions for a Sustainable Society.
The regional scope of the programme is the EU-28 plus Norway and Switzerland. Through the VinylPlus initiative, the European PVC industry is creating a long-term sustainability framework for the entire PVC value chain. It aims to:
- recycle 900,000 tonnes of PVC per year by 2025
- promote a sustainable use of additives
- improve PVC products sustainability and their contribution to sustainable development
- reduce progressively GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions as well as energy and resource consumption along the entire production chain
- move towards a low-carbon circular economy
- build sustainability awareness along the value chain and among stakeholders
vinylplus.eu | twitter.com/vinylplus_eu