In Paul’s writings he often used athletics as a metaphor for living the Christian life. In this passage he is using a foot race as his illustration. The key verse is “But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14.
We discussed the following questions:
• Are you still growing in your faith? How is your Christian walk? Are you actively serving the Lord … using the spiritual gifts God has given you?
• Are you still in the race or are you a spectator … sitting on the sidelines?
• Are you finishing the course God has planned for you?
• Are you pressing on in spite of difficulties?
• What is the “one thing you do”? Do you have a primary ministry focus?
• Are there some things in your past that you need to forget? Maybe past successes? Maybe past failures?
• Do you have a mentor in your Christian Life? Are you mentoring another person?