A NEW LAYER TAIWAN – DESIGN CURIO AT DESIGN MIAMI/BASEL FROM 12 UNTIL 17 JUNE
Browse the catalogue A New Layer Taiwan here. Prices are on request.
Download the Press release here
Download the Press pack here
Led by NTCRI (National Taiwanese Craft Research and Development Institute), A New Layer Taiwan aims to foster new partnerships between international designers and Taiwanese craftsmen. From 2012-2016, A New Layer I was led by the Swedish designer Matti Klenell with TAF Architects, Stina Löfgren and Carina Seth Andersson. In 2017-18, the project has moved into its second phase of research and development: “A New Layer II: Crafting Identities / Design Stories from Taiwan“. In order to transform traditional Taiwanese craftsmanship products into contemporary design objects and furniture, the NTCRI invited Belgium-based curator Lise Coirier as Art Director and 7 internationally based designers from France, Germany, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Sweden, and Switzerland to Taiwan to work with some of the most talented local craftspeople on the island.
Art Direction: Lise Coirier
Scenography by Julie Richoz.
Seven projects have been completed:
– The New Koji by Anton Alvarez (Sweden), Zhong-Zheng Chen and Chi-Li Hsiao (Taiwan), which revisits the classical forms presented in the traditional Koji pottery.
– The Bamboo Chair by Jin Kuramoto (Japan) and Jian Cheng Lin (Taiwan), a handmade bamboo bending process.
–The Neolithic Collection by Jin Kuramoto (Japan) & Zhong Jian-Fu + Clay+art & craft co. (Taiwan)
– The Cong Collection by Julie Richoz (Switzerland/France) and Chin-Mei Huang (Taiwan), lacquerware inspired by a Cong vase at held in the collection of the National Palace Museum.
– The Bridge Bamboo Bench by Sebastian Herkner (Germany) and Ming-An Wu (Taiwan), a technique-testing project inspired by the colorful steel bridges dotted across Taiwan.
– The Clay Table by Wonmin Park (Korea) and Wen-Yi Kung (Taiwan), and Chin-Mei Huang (Taiwan).
– The Fruit Tower by BCXSY– Boaz Cohen & Sayaka Yamamoto (Israel/Netherlands – Japan) and Jian-Fu Zhong (Taiwan), and Wen-Yi, Kung (Taiwan).