Changing Lanes: The Commander
You grow as your child grows.
Don’t use one style of parenting for every stage of life.
Don’t get the styles in the wrong order.
Where am I on the parenting roller coaster?
· Commander—Birth to 5 years
· Coach—5 years to 12 years
· Counselor—12 years to 18 years.
· Consultant—18 years and beyond
· Parenting is very fluid.
· What stage is my child in? ______________
· What style am I using? _______________
What is the goal of parenting?
· Our goal as a parent is to move a life from childhood to a spiritually, emotionally and relationally healthy adult.
· The difference between childhood and adulthood is responsibility.
· Adult is moving from being taken care of, to taking care of yourself, to taking care of someone else.
Why the commander?
· Your child doesn’t have the skills to make good decisions.
· You are laying a foundation for the rest of life.
A Biblical picture of the commander—Galatians 3:23-26
· “Because I said so!”
· The law reveals.
· The law is temporary.
· The law prepares the way for grace.