Guardianship is a drastic intervention that should only be considered when all other options fail to meet the urgent needs of the person. Lawyers and advocates working with older adults should be aware of other less restrictive tools to help individuals identified as vulnerable and in need of assistance. This webcast will highlight Supported Decision-Making (SDM) and the PRACTICAL Tool. The PRACTICAL Tool walks users through options and concerns in using SDM to determine a person’s needs, existing and required supports, and options. The person-centered and person-driven decision-making model of SDM leverages the ability to empower adults to make decisions across the spectrum of capacity. SDM helps supporters understand the values of the person, enabling them to offer better advice and options for the person.
After this session, attendees will:
• Have a test to apply before guardianship should be considered
• Be able to describe how to practice SDM
• Be able to apply the steps of the PRACTICAL Tool
• Be able to articulate the importance of personal values in decision-making
• David Godfrey, Senior Staff Attorney, American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging