A vocal rendition of Columbia Graduate School of Journalism's student council meeting.
1. Meeting called to order at 6pm by Rebecca Castillo.
2. Officers and committees: Rebecca handed out a contact list for the full board, as well as a “Role of SPJ officers” sheet. Rebecca discussed the roles of the various SPJ posts and committees.
Reminders: Rebecca recommended starting preparations for the Halloween Party as soon as possible. Swag design must also be ready by November. Rebecca also recommended that SPJ plan 40 percent of its events for the year as soon as possible.
3. Rebecca named key people the board needs to know and work with:
Student affairs: Sree Sreenavasan and Melanie Huff
Communications and special events: Elizabeth Fishman and Barbara Fasciani
Centennial programming: Jesse Adams
Alumni office: Irena Choi Stern
Fundraising: Nina Ivory, Amanda Wilson
Building management and mailroom: Scott Osborn, Thaddeus Craddock, David Miller and Derek Gano
4. Communications: Rebecca can send all-class emails, sparingly. The public SPJ email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. This goes to Sree, Rebecca, the president and the vice president. Don’t overuse the listserv.
5. Events: The board should tell Rebecca who is in charge of each event. Check the general J-school calendar before setting dates, then confirm with Rebecca and contact the publicity director.
6. Rebecca explained the school’s policy for events where alcohol will be served.
7. Fundraising/swag: In the past, committees could raise funds for their own projects rather than pooling funds. This year’s SPJ can consider continuing this approach. Swag: Rebecca showed sweatshirts, T-shirts, etc, from previous years.
8. Meetings: SPJ meets once a week in the fall and once every two weeks in the spring. Committee meetings are held as needed. Please submit notes from committee meetings to the secretary.
The board decided to hold meetings from 5:15pm to 6:00pm on Friday afternoons.
9. The president, Jake Heller, has created a Twitter handle, #cujwants, so students can communicate their concerns and ideas to the board.
10. Jake appointed board member Bianca Consunji to head the centennial committee.
11. The meeting concluded with board members signing up for committees:
Raisa Zaidi (Chair)
Mohammed Ademo (Chair)
Cassie Harvey (Chair)
Annie Claire Bergeron-Oliver
Purvi Thacker (Chair)
Student Life Committee
Jillian Sederholm (Chair)
Community Service Committee
Mollie Bloudoff-Indelicato (Chair)
Elaisha Stokes (Co-Chair)
Russ Finkelstein (Co-Chair)
Bianca Consunji (Chair)
Kristen V. Brunn
Janet Upadhye (Chair)
Minutes submitted by the secretary, Celia Llopis-Jepsen.