No one approach addresses the affordable housing challenges by itself. Rather, a multi-dimensional approach that addresses multiple facets of housing challenges with various approaches is needed. Therefore, the overall goals of affordable housing efforts are many. However, the Neighborhood Housing Fund for Monterey is one approach that seeks to address a sub-set of goals.
1. Maintaining the integrity of community
2. Fostering healthy, functional socio-economically diverse multi-generational neighborhoods
3. Collocating workforce to existing jobs
4. Reducing commute traffic, carbon emissions and congestion on local roadways
About the NHFM Approach
1. NHFM is neighborhood focused thereby promoting affordable housing that is the right kind of housing for a given neighborhood.
2. NHFM intends to support legitimate projects that meet municipal inclusionary housing goals thereby leveraging density bonuses and gaining additional units
3. NHFM plans to work with distressed property owners to maintain their homes as affordable housing
4. NHFM will spur collaboration between healthcare providers, employers and housing developers to bring more workforce affordable housing and improved health outcomes for our community.