A project by designer Yi Fei Chen
Communication is the art of conveying thought and a fundamental form of interaction. While verbal communication accounts for barely 7% in the pie, tone and body language attribute the remaining 93%. However, geographic and cultural variance induces significant inconsistencies. Broadly speaking, (West) European candour versus an highly inhibited and conservative Asian disposition is one such example.
“Excuse me”, is a mechanism that could be a metaphor to showcase indirect Asian traits. It does not imply failure to communicate or a lack of straightforwardness, rather an alternative way of expression. It entails that Asians have weaved into their communicative fabric the ability to deduce meaning from past suggestions and established truths - a means to decipher the “code”.
An exaggeration of this cultural difference is manifested in bringing the excuse (the chair) to life. This stool behaves like a needy pet that will emote anger, thirst and excretory urges too. This rather fictitious poetic illustration captures the creative ability of people to formulate an array of “white lies”. Some while being outright ridiculous, none of them intend or result in harm.