This historic site was dedicated in 1938 and named after Carlos Avery, who served as Minnesota’s first conservation commissioner. From land originally used to harvest “wire grass” (wire sedge), a game refuge developed in 1933. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) oversaw the construction of five buildings over the next several years. On October 16, 1938, the 9,000 acres was officially dedicated and given to the state of Minnesota.
This Anoka County National Registry of Historic Places video was produced by students from Hennepin Technical College Video Production Program in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. Produced by Anoka County Historical Society, Rebecca Ebnet-Mavencamp, Executive Director, Audra Hilse, Archivist and Sara Given, Coordinator and Directed by Charles Ellingson.