Since 2003, the President of the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) has presented the State of Indian Nations (SOIN) address, outlining the goals of tribal leaders, the opportunities for success and advancement of Native peoples, and priorities to advance our nation-to-nation relationship with the United States.
Each year, the President of the National Congress of American Indians presents the State of Indian Nations address to members of Congress, government officials, tribal leaders and citizens, and the American public.
To facilitate direct engagement between Congress and tribal nations, a member of Congress is invited each year to deliver a Congressional response to the State of Indian Nations.
Previous Congressional speakers included:
• 2011 - Senator Lisa Murkowski (AK)
• 2012 - Representative Tom Cole (OK)
• 2013 - Senator Maria Cantwell (WA)
• 2014 - Senator John Barrasso (WY)
• 2016 - Representative Betty McCollum (MI)
• 2017 - Senator John Hoeven (ND)
• 2018 - Senator Tom Udall (NM)