Here is a clip from filming one of the magical scenes for “Planting Seeds” paired with the Glidecam 2000HD and Lensbaby Composer Pro.
So I am directing a new project called “Planting Seeds” with the Synergy Sisters. I wanted to find a way to make my camera operators more inclined to experiment and feel free filming without using the hand held or tripod options for a change. Thus the Glidecam 2000HD came into our lives. I had done a lot of research on this product before making the $450 investment. I highly recommend buying the forearm support to save your wrist. It only cost about $50 on B&H Photo when bought with the Glidecam 2000HD. The product works really well with prime lenses. Also something to keep in mind that zoom lenses don’t work well with this product because you can’t zoom while filming with the Glidecam 2000HD.
The Synergy Sisters paired our Glidecam 2000HD along with the Lensbaby Composer Pro in order to create an artist feeling for our magical documentary “Planting Seeds” coming soon. Check out the blog and kickstarter to learn more. The Composer Pro works really well with the Glidecam because of how light the lens is. The Glidecam 200HD does not work well with 24-70 or 70-200mm lenses because they are too heavy.
List of the Best Ways to Use a Glidecam 200HD
1.When balancing your Glidecam make sure that the battery, CF card, and microphone are attached
2.Have the camera further back and to the left to compensate for battery and lens weight on the plate
3. Use your free hand to control the way the camera moves by placing it softly on the middle bar
4. Try to walk as steady as possible by keeping your head level
5. Take long strides when walking forward
6. When walking backwards walk on your toes
7. While running or following a subject do it with confidence, it is coming out smoother than you think
8. To make a tilt slower have the middle bar shorter, to make it faster extend the bar
Advantages of the Lensbaby List
1. place the plane of focus by moving the lens to create a film like feel
2. blurs out part of the frame that you choose
3. affordable (about $300)
4. Comes with many aperture option f/2.8 – f/22
easily add different effects by buying attachments
some effects include wide angle, macro, zoom, and soft focus
5. fun and artist lens to make a surreal feeling