This HHR webinar is a discussion on response strategies to investigations by the World Bank Group and other multilateral development banks (MDBs).
Historical and procedural context
• Why do the MDBs care? Why should all of us?
• MDBs' sanctions systems and primary actors
• Basis for MDBs' jurisdiction and powers
• Impact on MDBs' projects, and of referrals to national authorities
Recent trends and noteworthy developments
• Cooperation across investigative units of MDBs and with national authorities
• New entrants, such as China's AIIB, and the expected impact on enforcement
• Potential liability of MDBs for failing to prevent sanctionable practices after Jam v. IFC
• Audit requests and "show cause" letters
• The importance of engaging in the process and seeking constructive dialogue
• Available procedural protections
• Successfully completing post-settlement conditions of release