SideFX's Scott Keating showcases the upcoming SideFX Solaris at SIGGRAPH 2019. Solaris brings a new context called LOPS, or lighting operators, that brings native USD [Universal Scene Description] support to Houdini to allow for comprehensive lookdev, layout and lighting workflows.
- Geometry brought into LOPS becomes USD - USD remains USD while in LOPS.
- Solaris provides a visual editor for working with USD.
- Solaris supports a wide variety of lookdev, layout and lighting tasks.
- Solaris is a new context in Houdini Core, Houdini FX, Houdini Indie and Houdini Apprentice - not a separate application.
- A new USD-compliant renderer called SideFX Karma Render was announced for Solaris/USD
This new renderer works with Hydra for fast IPR.
This will be a fast CPU-based renderer with a GPU version of it being developed for a future release.
Solaris also works with other Hydra-compliant renderers such as RenderMan.
Solaris is planned to be released as part of Houdini 18 in late 2019. Karma Render will be released in beta at the same time.
MORE HOUDINI HIVE SIGGRAPH TALKS: sidefx.co/2ZE890H