Dr. Brett Shelton presents on I/ITSEC (http://www.iitsec.org/Pages/default.aspx), a serious games conference that takes place towards the end of each year.
He currently runs Creating Learning Environments lab (http://cle.usu.edu/CLE_IF_VOSR.html)
2011 AECT Conference
Dr. Belland recently went out to the 2011 AECT conference with PhD students Gisela Martiz, Linda Sellers & Lei Ye
Trends he saw a lot of at the conference
• Technology integration in classrooms
• Technological pedagogical content knowledge
• Great way to not have to do a literature review from scratch
• Conferences allow students and academic and professional faculty to rub shoulders.
• Presenters and interns have expenses covered and have access to everything at the conference – great opportunity to have that on your CV.
PacifiCorp Design and Development Competition
• People create a solution to a specific problem
• If your solution makes it to the 2nd round you are awarded a mentor for another university to help you get the ball rolling with your idea
• Finalists and winners are awarded a plaque and of course a place on your CV
• Teams are made up of 2-3 people
• Info here http://www.aect.org/pacificorp/
Gisela Martiz, Linda Sellers & Lei Ye
• Flew out to Florida with Dr. Belland
• Gisela: Presented on her dissertation topic in a panel session for the international session
o Topic: Mobile Learning
• Reminded us that you don’t have to always present on what you’ve done. Gisela presented the idea as conceptual.
They all met a lot of USU alumni and leaders in the field, like Dr. Keller, and was able to chat with him about motivation in mobile learning.
• Challenges of conferences:
o Time away from school
o Topics may not always be related to your interests/project/research
• Look for scholarships
• Become a member of the host organization
• Volunteer at the conference – price reductions all around
• Share hotel rooms, stay in nearby hotels not the conference hotel
• Talk to your department, graduate school, and advisor about funding
Networking, networking, networking
The more minds the merrier.
People may not share your interest but they probably know someone else who does.
PROPOSAL DEADLIN FOR THE 2012 CONFERENCE IN LOUISVILLE, KY IS MARCH 1