Social Security benefits and Medicare benefits are closely intertwined, and most people who receive one also receive the other. The close connection means that a problem with one benefit will sometimes cause problems with the other benefit. It can be difficult to figure out which agency is responsible and where to go for relief. This webinar will focus on why cross-program issues occur and what advocates can do to resolve them.
Presenters will share:
• Agencies and key players: Who is in charge of what?
• Situations when Medicare and Social Security benefits are linked and when they are not
• Issues that arise and strategies for resolving them, including state buy-in issues for Medicare Part B premiums, and challenges keeping Medicare active during an appeal of the termination of Social Security disability benefits.
• Georgia Burke, Directing Attorney, Justice in Aging
• Trinh Phan, Senior Staff Attorney, Justice in Aging