Last September, the McCullough family was sound asleep when a fire in a vacant trailer spread to their home. The spreading smoke set off their smoke alarm and awaking Doreen McCullough’s 12-year-old daughter, who alerted her family to quickly escape as flames started to envelop the home. “All I could see was this big orange ball of fire, I mean it was huge,” Doreen said. “I froze, I think I was in shock.”
Just months before the fire, Red Cross volunteers had visited the family’s home to install multiple smoke alarms, which Doreen and her family credit with saving their lives and giving them enough time to escape. “The smoke alarm upstairs is what saved us, because if it wouldn't have been for that smoke alarm, we wouldn’t be sitting here right now,” Doreen said. "That smoke alarm saved our life."
Learn more at redcross.org/homefires