Château Palmer derives its name from Charles Palmer, an Englishman who owned the property from 1816-1853. The terroir at this Médoc estate dates from the Quaternary period, when gravel slowly accumulated on the Left Bank of the Gironde, pushed by the Dordogne and carried along by the Garonne. The two rivers meet a few kilometers downstream from Ch. Palmer to form the Gironde estuary. Among their current 52 hectares of vines, Ch. Palmer has a large percentage of Merlot, almost the same amount of Cabernet Sauvignon, and a small percentage of Petit Verdot.
Here in Margaux, the vines are planted on gravely rises several meters thick, consisting of brittle black lydite, white and yellow quartz, quartzite mottled with black, green or blue, and white chalcedony. In an effort to help the vine roots sink deep into the gravelly soil, they till the soil regularly. They also maintain a very high vine density - 10,000 vines per hectare - in order to increase competition between the vines and encourage this deep rooting.
Join us for Part 1, as Thomas Duroux, CEO of Château Palmer, leads us through the vineyards and discusses the growing conditions in the Margaux region of Bordeaux.
For More Info on Chateau Palmer: chateau-palmer.com
The sponsor of this video is Millesima, Fine Wine Merchants: millesima-usa.com