Presented March 14 & 15, 2012, this webinar discusses a statewide initiative in Arizona to enlist the staff of the State’s 80 Emergency Departments in identifying, screening and referring for treatment or follow up patients that are at-risk for suicide or substance abuse. The 45 minute session features Lisa Shumaker, Office Chief, Prevention Services, Arizona Department of Health Services, Division of Behavioral Health Services, and her colleague, Markay Adams, Suicide Prevention Coordinator discussing:
• The rationale behind the program – including increasing poisoning rates, rising costs and elimination of funding for behavioral health services (1:10)
• The planning – including needs analysis, opportunities for change and barriers, the logic model and funding sources (15:15)
• Implementation of the program (26:12)
• Discussion of an online interactive training simulation, Kognito’s At-Risk in the ED (30:11)
• Evalution and Next steps (42:33)
The Webinar was facilitated by Jennifer Spiegler, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Kognito Interactive. Kognito, a developer of online training simulations, has recently released “At-Risk in the ED” an online interactive course designed to educate emergency department staff on how to identify and screen patients for suicide and substance abuse risk. A demo of the course can be viewed at kognito.com.