An Old Norse language expert offers (a lot of) thoughts and (where available) facts about a normal person's life in the Viking Age.
· 1:27 Three big takeaway points
· 1:41 (1a. Household: Sex makes babies)
· 3:51 (1b. Household: They have slaves, but don't think Louisiana plantations)
· 5:47 (2. Manliness/drengskapr is important, but not totally combat-oriented)
· 7:38 (3. Everything is hard and living through the day is not taken for granted)
· 11:27 Chores
· 19:01 Entertainment and Arts (refers often to this video about Norse sports and games: youtu.be/lVKmNxWiqy4 and this one about the music preserved in the Codex Runicus: youtu.be/jBnYyCe774Q and I'll also mention this series on Norse poetry: youtu.be/K7TbN9LqaJw)
· 26:42 Status and Prejudice
· 36:15 Rhythms of Life: Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death
· 54:59 Food & Drink
· 1:08:14 Clothes, Grooming, Personal Appearance
· 1:23:36 Concluding Thoughts
· 1:27:17 Reader's Corner
· 1:27:75 Do you like these videos?
Jackson Crawford, Ph.D.: Sharing real expertise in Norse language and myth with people hungry to learn, free of both ivory tower elitism and the agendas of self-appointed gurus. Visit JacksonWCrawford.com (includes bio and linked list of all videos).