Lecture transcript: https://bit.ly/3dM6ixx
This lecture is the first of many events planned by the Cape Ann Museum in 2010 to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the White-Ellery House. In this presentation, archivist and librarian Stephanie Buck recounts the life of the Reverend John White (1677-1760) for whom the house was built in 1710. As the pastor of the First Parish Church in Gloucester, White lived in the house until 1733. Curator Martha Oaks picks up next when ownership is transferred to the Ellery family in 1740, several generations of which remained at the house until it was given to the museum in 1947. From early colonial times to the building of Route 128, this deep dive into the archival collections of the museum highlights the changes that have been experienced by the people of Gloucester as personified in this remarkably well-preserved historic structure.
Subject List: Reverend John White; White-Ellery House; Lucy Wise White ; First Period Architecture; Abigail Blague White; First Parish Church; Alice Norwood White; Fourth Parish; Captain William Ellery; Land Bank of 1740; Abigail Allen Ellery; Ellery’s Furniture; Ida Beeman; Route 128; Stephanie Buck; Martha Oaks.