Support this channel: paypal.me/jeffquitney OR patreon.com/jeffquitney
more at quickfound.net/
'War plant workers flood the town of Sylacauga, Alabama, and the town constructs facilities and organizes activities to make them feel welcome. Excellent, idealized view of homefront life in a World War II factory town.'
Originally a public domain film from the Library of Congress Prelinger Archives, slightly cropped to remove uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and one-pass brightness-contrast-color correction & mild video noise reduction applied.
The soundtrack was also processed with volume normalization, noise reduction, clipping reduction, and/or equalization (the resulting sound, though not perfect, is far less noisy than the original).
Wikipedia license: creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
Sylacauga is a city in Talladega County, Alabama, United States. At the 2010 census the population was 12,749.
Nicknames for Sylacauga include "The Marble City", “The Cog”, and "Alabama’s Best-Kept Secret".
Sylacauga is known for its fine white marble bedrock. This was discovered shortly after settlers moved into the area and has been quarried ever since. The marble industry was the first recorded industry in the Sylacauga area.
Sylacauga is the site of the first documented case of an object from outer space hitting a person. On November 30, 1954, a 4 kg (9 lb) piece of what became known as the Hodges Meteorite crashed through the roof of an Oak Grove house, bounced off a radio, and badly bruised Mrs. Ann Hodges, who was taking an afternoon nap.
Sylacauga is on the 2010 list of "100 Best Communities for Young People" by America's Promise Alliance...
The first recorded discovery of marble was in 1820 by Dr. Edward Gantt, a physician who had accompanied General Andrew Jackson through the area in 1814. Even Gantt probably did not realize the extent of this calcium carbonate deposit. The deposit is part of the "Murphy Marble Belt" extending 32 by 1.5 miles (51.5 by 2.4 km) by 400 feet (120 m) deep and is the world's largest commercial deposit of madre cream marble. In the 1830s, several quarries were opened in Talladega County and perhaps one in neighboring Coosa County. Using the old Plank Road, they made shipments throughout central Alabama. By 1906, New York interests had bought Gantt's quarry from its Ocala investors, and this site emerged as the center of marble-working activity. An elite town developed in and around this property, later called the Alabama Marble Company.
By the start of the 20th century, Sylacauga quarries had an established reputation...
By the 1940s endless uses for calcium products extracted from the marble deposits became obvious. Calcium was needed for agricultural, pharmaceutical and paint products. Alabama Marble Company had already moved in this direction, having introduced its first Raymond Mill products for animal feed, insecticides, and joint cement materials in 1933. By-products were sold under the name of Alabama Calcium Products. By 1964, the company had completed one of the largest multi-product calcium carbonate plants in the United States, and in 1967 the structural marble plant was closed. Moretti-Harrah chose to continue its structural finishing operations, and with increasingly fast and up-to-date precision machinery, it introduced new lines of tile, window sills, and other building products. In addition, Moretti-Harrah expanded operations to include calcium products, entering into a partnership with Thompson-Weinman and Company of Cartersville, Georgia, in 1944. In 1956, Thompson-Weinman expanded its own crushing operation in Sylacauga, and Sylacauga Calcium Products was formed as a division of Moretti-Harrah.
Thompson, Weinman and Company remained privately owned until 1975 when it was purchased by Cyprus Mines Corporation. In 1979 Cyprus Mines was purchased by Standard Oil Company of Indiana, and it became a subsidiary of Amoco Minerals Company. In 1983 an expansion project in the area of its calcium carbonate facilities was conducted. The expansion involved the installation of additional grinding capacity and new mill facilities and increased production. Calcium carbonate, long used as the coating of paper, was now being used as an important filler as the paper industry converted from acid-based paper making systems to alkaline systems. In 1988 English China Clays (ECC) International purchased Moretti Harrah, and in 1989 ECC purchased Cyprus Thompson Weinman. Then, Georgia Marble Company purchased Cyprus Thompson Weinman.
In 1995, Imetal Group of Paris acquired the Georgia Marble Company...