On this week's Living Room Explorers, we’ll be learning about China and the magic of shadow puppets, exploring art together, playing trivia, and making shadow puppets and a shadow theater!
If you enjoy these programs, please donate so we can continue to bring our diverse world to your living room: paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr…
For this week's craft, you'll need the following supplies:
- Cardboard box (at least as big as a shoe box)
- White tissue paper
- Straws, popsicle sticks, or something else to use to hold your puppets
- Dark-colored construction paper
1. Draw the outline of a character on the dark construction paper, and cut it out. Tape a straw to the back.
2. Once you've made two or three puppets, grab a grown-up!
3. Cut off the bottom of the box.
4. Tape a few sheets of white tissue paper to the cut-out part of the box to create the shadow screen.
5. Make sure the room is dark and point your flashlight at the tissue paper from the inside of the box. Hold your puppet between the flashlight and the box to cast shadows.
6. Perform a puppet show!